Monday, May 23, 2011

Why Should You Adopt An Older Cat




We adopted our first kitten from a friend 2 years ago. She lives on a farm and unfortunately someone dumped a pregnant cat on her property. Thankfully, my friend found the cat and was able to find homes for all her kittens. My friend got the mom spayed and adopted her and one of her kittens! Our second kitten we rescued from a no kill shelter. While I was there I saw all the older cats waiting for a home. The people at the shelter encouraged me to adopt an older cat but I had my mind set on a kitten. We brought a kitten home and she is great. Then a funny thing happened. My son found a stray cat while playing outside. He was a super friendly cat and was very hungry. We continued to feed him while I looked for his owners. We never found the owners and so the cat became ours! I was amazed at what a great cat he is. Now I understood what the shelter was talking about! Why didn't I listen??



I am now a volunteer at the animal shelter and again I am amazed at how many great cats are at the shelter waiting for homes! As volunteers, we take the cats out of their cages to socialize them and they are just so thankful. Most of them just purr, rub on you and roll around in total happiness. So, please give the older cats a chance. Remember, they are already litter trained and a lot less work than a kitten. I am presently fostering two kittens. Wow! They are messy!


Here is an article about why you should consider adopting an older cat. http://cats.about.com/b/2010/11/01/reasons-to-adopt-an-older-cat.htm


Last but not least, is the cat pictured at the top. His number at the shelter is C-39599 and he is available for adoption. I call him Handsome because, well, he is handsome and super sweet! So come and see him soon at the Burlington County Animal Shelter. 609-265-5073

No comments:

Post a Comment