Below is the contents of the weekly Adoptions & Newsletter email sent out on 12/15/11.
Hello, fellow Friends of BCAS volunteers!
Please spare a moment to read the following announcements:
• DOG HANDLING CLASS: Animal Advocate John will be holding his next Yellow Dog Handling Class on Thursday, December 22nd at 6 PM. Volunteers, come learn about handling potentially difficult dogs, and become approved to walk Yellow-rated shelter dogs!
• CATS THIS MONDAY: The conference room may not be available to cat volunteers on Monday the 19th. If the room isn't available, volunteers can still cuddle the kitties in the cat room!
• THANKS FOR PARTYING WITH US! Last Monday's volunteer holiday party was a hit, and we want to thank everybody who attended for coming! Nearly $200 was donated to Friends of BCAS by you generous folks, and a tidy pile of goodies were donated to the shelter (as well as a whole lot of leftover food donated to the hungry shelter staff :) ). Special thanks to Freeholder O'Brien for making a special guest appearance!
• FOUR ON THE FLOOR: Here's a dog behavior tip from our fellow volunteer Audrey Arturo, a certified dog trainer:
We all love hugs from the shelter dogs and want to shower them with affection. However, allowing dogs to jump up on us is not a good idea! When potential adopters are met by a jumping dog, there is a very good possibility they will be turned off by this behavior, thus reducing the probability of adoption (not to mention the possibility of injury to the adopter).
When a dog jumps on you, simply turn away from the dog, cross your arms, look up and ignore them. This shows them that their behavior is NOT going to get rewarded. Once they have "Four on the Floor" (all paws on the ground), you can pet, treat and tell them "YES". If they know "sit" it’s a good time to use that too. Remember the "FOUR ON THE FLOOR" rule and everyone will be happier and safer … and a dog may even get adopted sooner because of it!
• FELINE FOSTER BLOG: Volunteers Andrea and Meike now have a blog and Facebook page to follow the stories of their foster cats: http://thecatchronicles.tumblr.com/ & facebook.com/thecatchronicles. All of their fosters were rescued from our shelter through the Burlington County Animal Alliance. If anyone wants to add anything to the blog (or if you're interested in fostering cats!), email Andrea at email@example.com.
• Burlington County's PET AID Team - 7th Annual Pet Food & Toy Drive! The PET AID Team, an animal disaster preparedness resource of the The American Red Cross of Burlington County, will once again be hosting their annual Holiday Pet Food & Toy Drive to benefit local homeless animals. The donation deadline is December 31st! View the list of dropoff locations on B.C. Pet Aid's website here: http://www.burlingtoncountypetaid.org/holidayfooddrive.html
Adopted Animals Update!
• Milo the Saint Bernard's new owner says: "Milo is well and happy and adjusting. I just love him. Thank you!"
• Hope & Oreo were two lucky kitties rescued by fellow volunteer and BCAA cat foster Barbara Moos. Barbara says: "Hope & Oreo are adopted together and doing fine, the little darling divas!" (Note: Hope is a Persian who was half shaved at the time of that picture!)
• • • ADOPT US! • • •
Aren't we so adorable?
Please spread the word about these awesome pets who deserve a happy home!
C-44039 Brucie | D-43724 Skippy | C-44412 Dickens | D-44164 Harry
Click the link below and search by ID for more info:
...Thank you! And now, without further ado...
Some of the wonderful animals adopted this week:
Some of the wonderful animals adopted this week:
(It was a pretty good week!)
Kitten Count: Over half a dozen cats and kittens without pics were known to be adopted or reclaimed this week!
Our CAT OF THE MONTH was ADOPTED!
It turned out she was really just our Cat of the Week, since she was adopted after only 9 days featured!
C-44095 Handsome, C-44118 Graceful, C-44450 Orion, C-44468 Mitzi
C-44600 Colby, C-44770 Brody, C-44898 Elmo, C-44965 Snipit
C-44980 Kelly, C-45225 Gracie, C-45249 Diana
Our Dog of the Month was RE-ADOPTED!
Hopefully he'll stay that way this time!
Special Mention: D-39944 Angel - After originally arriving at the shelter in Sept. 2010 and being adopted and returned several times, Angel has been taken home to be fostered by Animal Advocate John!
D-45276 McGarret, D-45432 Dozer (rescued by BCAA), D-45437 King (BCAA), D-45458 Morgan (BCAA)
D-45463 Snookie, D-45491 Mary, D-45516 Prince, D-45518 Quincey
D-45522 Rags, D-45530 Latte, D-45532 Precious, D-45533 Danny
D-45555 Honey, D-45565 Queenie, D-45595 Emma
We are the volunteers of the Burlington County Animal Shelter. We do our best to make sure our shelter's animals are happy and ready for adoption.
We love new volunteers, and so do the shelter kitties and doggies! Learn more about us here: FriendsofBCAS.org