Below is the contents of the weekly Adoptions & Newsletter email sent out on 11/17/11.
Hello, fellow Friends of BCAS volunteers!
Please spare a moment to read the following announcements:
• ADORABLE SHELTER CAT: Everybody who's been online for ten seconds can tell that the internet's full of cat videos, but this one's different: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRjEc0vpR7Y -- because it's done by our fellow volunteer, Steve, and it features the second-longest feline resident of our shelter, Ash! Take a look! (I dare you not to say "awww".)
• SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT KITTIES: Our fellow volunteer, Meike, is sponsoring several cats for adoption and has a flyer she'd like you to print out and post somewhere to help spread the word! You can find the flyer here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/73079098/Catposter-Kitty-Pairs (sign in with a Scribd or Facebook account to print it) - The shelter is almost always overcrowded with cats. Overcrowding without relief inevitably ends badly for many shelter cats, so just about any small effort, such as printing out a simple poster, can save lives!
• DOG TOYS LEFT BEHIND: Volunteers, please don't leave dog toys in the dog yard. Recently, at least two dozen tennis balls were strewn about in the yard and had to be collected! No dog needs that many chew toys :)
• SURVEY RESULTS: Back a few months ago we surveyed our volunteers, as we were curious about why volunteers join and what gets them to stay, among other things. Here's a brief summary of our findings:
1. Where did you hear about us? (29%) Newspaper, (24%) Word of mouth, (18%) Shelter or website, (18%) Other
2. Why start volunteering? (47%) Love of animals, (35%) Wanted to help, (17%) Other
3. What might make you volunteer more? (37%) Better shelter hours, (14%) More opportunities with animals, (10%) More guidance with handling, (20%) Already doing as much as possible.
• HOLIDAY CLOSINGS: The shelter will be closed to the public and volunteers on Thanksgiving and the day after (Thursday the 24th and Friday the 25th, respectively). Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, everybody!